
Siargao's Hidden Gem: Subangan Homestay 6 - Unforgettable Island Escape!
Siargao's Hidden Gem: Subangan Homestay 6 - Unforgettable Island Escape! - My Messy, Honest, and Obsessively Detailed Review!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from Siargao's Hidden Gem: Subangan Homestay 6, and my brain is still buzzing with saltwater and sunshine. This isn't your sanitized travel brochure review; this is the real deal, the messy, the amazing, and the occasionally, slightly annoying truth. Consider this your ultimate travel guide, SEO-ed to the gills, and fueled by copious amounts of local coffee.
First Impressions (and the Drive There – Accessibility and Getting There… Yeah, Let's Dive In!)
Getting to Subangan 6 is a journey, but trust me, it's part of the charm. Siargao itself is a bit of a trek; you're flying into Sayak Airport (IAO). The hotel offers airport transfer (thank god!), because, trust me, after a flight, you don't want to negotiate with motorbike drivers. The car park [free of charge] is also a relief.
Now, accessibility. Not gonna lie, this is where things get a little… bumpy. Facilities for disabled guests are listed, which gave me a little hope that someone's thought about folks with mobility issues, but specific details are sparse. I'd recommend calling ahead and really pressing them on details. Staircases are common in Siargao, and I’m fairly mobile, but I can see how that could be a problem for some people.
The Arrival and The Vibe (Cleanliness, Safety, and That Sweet, Sweet Wi-Fi)
Whew, okay, after the drive, you're greeted with smiles and the ocean breeze. Immediate plus: Front desk [24-hour]. Essential when dealing with jet lag and questionable nap schedules. And the check-in/out [express] option is HUGE. I hate lingering!
Cleanliness and safety are paramount these days, and Subangan 6 seemed to take it seriously. They're hitting all the right buzzwords: Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer everywhere I looked, Staff trained in safety protocol, Rooms sanitized between stays. I didn't find a single rogue dust bunny which I call success.
Now, the important stuff: Internet. Listen, I work remotely. Wi-Fi is my oxygen. The good news: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (And a little cheer from me). They also boast Internet [LAN] and Internet services, which is good if you're like my husband and still use a cable! Thankfully, it’s also accessible throughout the public areas. The connection was… decent. Acceptable for streaming, not ideal for super-intensive video conferences. But hey, you're on a freaking island; disconnect and enjoy the sunset!
The Rooms: Your Island Sanctuary
My room? Oh, it was lovely. Air conditioning in all rooms (praise the heavens!), Blackout curtains (essential for sleeping off that jet lag), a comfy bed with Extra long bed, a desk, complimentary tea and coffee, and a refrigerator stocked with goodies. It was simple, it was clean, and it felt like a proper little oasis. Daily housekeeping kept things tidy (even when my attempts at organization failed miserably). I loved the balcony and the fact that a window opens for fresh air.
A little confession: I'm a sucker for a good bathroom. And Subangan 6 didn't disappoint. A nice hot shower with the shower and toiletries was amazing after a day of surfing. I especially appreciated the slippers – a small touch, but a welcome one.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling Your Adventure (And My Carb Cravings)
Okay, let's talk food. This is where Subangan 6 shines.
Restaurants: They have a restaurant and Poolside bar.
Dining
- A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant.
- Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast [buffet], Buffet in restaurant.
- I loved waking up to the Asian breakfast, which was light, filling, and filled with deliciousness that's perfect for surfing! And the coffee was always fresh. They also offer Room service [24-hour], which is dangerous. Especially for someone like me who craves a dessert in the middle of the night.
- The snack bar was a godsend for mid-afternoon cravings, and their soup in restaurant was a comfort for a rainy day.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop.
- I will admit I didn't try the desserts in restaurant. Sigh.
Daily disinfection in common areas.
The bottle of water.
Things to Do (and Relax): Island Life Unleashed!
Siargao is a playground. Subangan 6 is a good basecamp. While the homestay itself doesn’t have a fitness center, gym/fitness, sauna, spa, spa/sauna, steamroom, swimming pool, and Pool with view, the island makes up for it. They're missing on Body scrub, Body wrap, but who has time for that when you can surf?
You are in Siargao! It is a surfer's paradise!
- Things to do:
- Surfing at Cloud 9 (a must!).
- Island hopping.
- Explore the rock pools.
- Relaxing
- I spent most of my time in the sea surfing or relaxing at the beach. The swimming pool [outdoor] would be amazing, but let's be honest, the ocean is even better!
Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easier (Thank Goodness!)
Subangan 6 offers a suite of conveniences that make life easier.
Air conditioning in public area.
Services and conveniences
- Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Elevator, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, Smoking area, Terrace.
- Doorman, Food delivery, and Hotel chain.
- Invoice provided.
- The concierge was also super helpful with booking tours and giving me tips on where to eat.
- Dry cleaning - good for folks like me who want to travel light.
- Facilities for disabled guests - I cannot stress how important it is to investigate the specific details.
- Additional toilet, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Desk, Extra long bed, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
Security and safety
- CCTV in common areas.
- CCTV outside property.
- Check-in/out [express].
- Check-in/out [private].
- Couple's room.
- Exterior corridor.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Front desk [24-hour].
- Hotel chain.
- Non-smoking rooms.
- Room decorations.
- Safety/security feature.
- Security [24-hour].
- Smoke alarms.
- Soundproof rooms.
Getting around
- Airport transfer.
- Bicycle parking.
- Car park [free of charge].
- Car park [on-site].
- Car power charging station.
- Taxi service.
- Valet parking.
- Available in all rooms
- Additional services and conveniences
- Audio-visual equipment for special events.
- Essential condiments.
- Food delivery.
- Gift/souvenir shop.
- Indoor venue for special events.
- Invoice provided.
- Ironing service.
- Laundry service.
- Luggage storage.
- Meeting/banquet facilities.
- Meetings.
- Meeting stationery.
- On-site event hosting.
- Outdoor venue for special events.
- Projector/LED display.
- Safety deposit boxes.
- **

Subangan Shuffle: My Utterly Unprofessional Siargao Itinerary (and Mental Breakdown)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your average travel blog polished to a sparkly sheen. This is me, post-sunburn and pre-meltdown, trying to remember what the hell happened on Siargao. This itinerary? More like a vague suggestion – a starting point that swiftly devolved into a glorious chaos of surfing wipeouts, questionable decisions fueled by cheap rum, and an overwhelming love for the Philippines.
Day 1: Arrival & Pre-Surf Angst (aka, Hello, Mosquitoes!)
- Morning (and by morning, I mean 2 PM): Arrived at Sayak Airport. The air hit me like a warm, humid hug – which was nice until the mosquitoes discovered my pasty, non-Filipino skin. Holy moly, they were relentless! Getting a tricycle from the airport felt like a scene from a low-budget action movie. We crammed four of us plus luggage into this tiny thing, dodging potholes and stray dogs. Classic.
- Afternoon: Checked into Subangan Homestay. (Spoiler alert: it's charming, but the wifi is about as reliable as my commitment to flossing.) Settled into my little bamboo hut. The view? Pure postcard perfection. The potential for internet access? Absolutely abysmal. Cue mild panic. Started unpacking, only to realize I'd left my charger ON THE PLANE. Sigh. This is going to be a long trip.
- Late Afternoon: Wandered down to Cloud 9. Saw the legendary surf break. Felt a wave of adrenaline (followed by a wave of sheer terror). Signed up for a lesson tomorrow. Lied to myself that I wouldn't fall. Ate a questionable mango. Regretted it immediately.
- Evening: Sunset drinks (cheap San Miguels, bless their hearts) at a beachfront bar. Met a group of Aussies who immediately started talking about the "sick waves" they had been riding. Pretended to understand. Started developing a nervous twitch. Dinner at a local "carinderia" (small, family-run eatery). The adobo was fantastic, the karaoke was ear-splittingly awful, and I was already, utterly, hopelessly in love with Siargao.
Day 2: Surf School Humiliation & Coconut Dreams
- Morning: SURF LESSON. Oh, the shame. The absolute, utter, physical humiliation. Imagine a slightly clumsy sloth trying to mate with a rogue wave. That was me. Fell. A LOT. Ate sand. Drank salt water. Questioned all my life choices. My instructor, a ridiculously handsome local named Kiko, was incredibly patient. I, on the other hand, was less patient with myself.
- Mid-morning: After the lessons I have a lot of scratches. I have this great lunch in Mama's, I highly advise you to try.
- Afternoon: A much-needed nap in my hut, punctuated by the incessant buzzing of mosquitoes. Dreamed of coconuts and redemption. And maybe a slightly less embarrassing attempt at surfing.
- Late Afternoon: Explored General Luna. Rented a scooter. (Note to self: learn how to ride a scooter before attempting to navigate Siargao roads.) Did not get into fatal accidents. Win! Visited Magpupungko Rock Pools during low tide. The photos don't do it justice. Magical. The water was so clear, I could practically see my own soul! This is the best experience that I had here. Made a friend of my life.
- Evening: Dinner at Kermit Surf Resort. Pizza, the best pizza I've ever eaten. The place was buzzing with life, the food was fantastic.
- Night: Passed out cold the moment my head hit the pillow. Exhausted, sunburnt, and happy.
Day 3: Island Hopping & The Great Sandbar Debacle
- Morning: Island hopping tour! Started at Daku Island, which was beautiful, but PACKED. Felt like being a sardine in a tourist can. Then, to Naked Island. It's literally just a sandbar. Beautiful, yes, but I was starting to feel a little…sandbar-ed out.
- Mid-day: Arrived at Guyam Island. Gorgeous, peaceful. The perfect place to recharge and take photos.
- Afternoon: The Great Sandbar Debacle. We were supposed to go to a hidden lagoon, but the tide was in. We ended up stuck on a sandbar in the middle of nowhere. The sun was brutal, the water was sweltering. The boatman's engine died. Panic started to set in. We waited for what felt like hours while he tinkered with the engine. Finally, with a sputter and a cough, the engine sprang back to life. We were rescued! (And learned a valuable lesson about booking tours with reputable companies.)
- Evening: Dinner at a local restaurant. The food was good. The company even better. Laughed about the sandbar ordeal until my sides ached. Was starting to realize that the "imperfect" moments are the ones that make the best memories.
- Night: Attempted to upload photos but gave up and retreated to the beach. Stargazing. Utterly breathtaking. Feeling humbled, small, and profoundly grateful for the chaos of the day.
Day 4: Rest Day (and a Desperate Search for Wifi)
- Morning: Slept in. (Almost.) Finally, the peace. The tranquility. The silence, broken only by the relentless chirping of cicadas. Bliss.
- Afternoon: Tried to find a cafe with decent wifi. Failed. Wandered aimlessly, feeling a growing sense of digital deprivation. Ate a mango shake. (The mangoes are just something else here. Pure, sweet, glorious bliss.)
- Late Afternoon: Found a cafe with wifi. Uploaded some photos. Sent some emails. Felt a brief, fleeting flicker of connection to the "real" world. Then, promptly decided to disconnect again.
- Evening: Tried some other dishes. This is really the best food, so far.
- Night: Drank more cheap rum. Lived in the moment. (Mostly. Okay, some anxiety about returning to "real" life crept in, but I pushed it down.)
Day 5: Farewell & The Promise of Return (and More Sand)
- Morning: Last surf lesson. (I actually managed to stand up a few times! Victory!) Said goodbye to Kiko. (Also, may have developed a small, inconsequential crush.)
- Mid-day: Packed. Failed to fit everything back into my suitcase. (How did I accumulate so much stuff in five days?)
- Afternoon: A final, melancholy wander along Cloud 9. Took one last look at the waves. Promised myself I'd return. Soon.
- Late Afternoon: Tricycle ride to the airport. Dodged potholes and dogs one last time.
- Evening: Flew home. Heart full, head slightly fuzzy, and legs aching from all the surfing. And with a suitcase full of sand. So much sand.
Final Thoughts:
Siargao? It's messy. It's chaotic. It's beautiful. It's imperfect. And I wouldn't have traded a single sand-filled, mosquito-bitten, wifi-deprived moment of it for anything. Go. Just go. But be warned: you'll leave a piece of your heart there. And probably a lot of sand in your shoes.
Unbelievable Whale Ocean Views: Your Dream Da Nang Hotel Awaits!
Subangan Homestay 6: The Truth (and Then Some!) About Your Siargao Dream
(Brace yourself...this isn't your brochure. ;) )
Okay, so...what *is* Subangan Homestay 6, exactly? Sounds fancy, right?
Well, "fancy" isn't *quite* the word. Think...rustic charm meets pure, unadulterated island vibes. Subangan 6, from what I gathered (which, admittedly, was slightly blurry after a few too many San Migs at the beach bonfire), is one of those cluster of homestays in (surprise!) Barangay Subangan, right on the coast. You're basically tripping over the ocean. So, if you're looking for a pristine, polished resort...keep scrolling. If you want to feel like you're actually *living* on Siargao, with all its glorious, messy imperfections, then you're in the right place.
The rooms...are they, you know, *livable*?
Livable? Absolutely! Now, “luxurious”? Nah. Remember, homestay, baby! My room was... well, it was a room. Basic, but comfortable. Think a simple bed with a mosquito net (thank GOD for that, the mozzies are out for blood!), a fan that, bless its heart, tried its best, and a private bathroom. The bathroom, let's just say, had a certain *island character*. Low water pressure sometimes, but hey, you're rinsing off the salt and sand, right? Perspective, people! I mean, you're not there to spend your days in the bathroom, are you? You should be out there living it! That's what I told myself, anyway, when the water trickled to a sad little halt mid-shower. Haha!
Ooh, food! Tell me about the food! Is it all just instant noodles and dubious fish?
Okay, the food... *this* is where things get interesting. The food is... fantastic! I’m not even exaggerating. Think fresh seafood cooked to perfection. The hosts were absolutely lovely, and always had a smile, even when I kept requesting more rice (carb loading at its finest!). They mostly cooked fresh dishes right from their own kitchen. The breakfast was simple, but good. The best part? The sunset dinners on the beach that they can arrange! The freshest grilled fish you'll ever taste, plus some other dishes, all served right there with your toes in the sand. The food here made me feel so good, so replenished! It was literally a taste of paradise with every bite. I swear, I’m still dreaming about the fish!
What about the location? Is it close to the action?
Okay, "close to the action" is relative. You're not smack-dab in the middle of General Luna, where the party *never* stops (and you’re tripping over surfboards). Subangan is a bit more of a quieter place, but there's still so much to see! You're probably a quick habal-habal ride (that's a motorcycle taxi, for the uninitiated) from Cloud 9, which is the main attraction, of course! Also, you're perfect for escaping the crowds and getting the authentic island experience. It’s just about 10 minutes away in a motorbike to Cloud 9. Perfect if you want some peace and quiet! I think I personally needed that after all the chaos I went through.
Seriously, the mosquitoes... how bad is it?
Okay, listen up. MOSQUITOES. They are real. They are hungry. They are *relentless*. I’m not a whiner, I swear. But those little bloodsuckers were on a mission to make me their meal. Bring DEET. Seriously, douse yourself in it. Mosquito net over the bed is essential, but don't think you're safe! They'll find their way in. I learned that the hard way, spent a night itching like crazy. I got chewed up and spat out. Don’t be like me. Bring the good stuff. And maybe a machete to swat them with. Kidding! (Mostly).
What are the people like? The staff/hosts...are they friendly?
Oh. My. Goodness. The people. They are the *best*. The hosts at Subangan 6 are just... pure sunshine. They're genuinely warm, welcoming, and always ready with a smile and a helpful hand. They’re not trying to sell you anything or push you around. They simply want you to enjoy your stay on their island. They'll help you organize tours, point you to the best beaches, or just chat with you about your day. They feel like family. I swear I had a little pang of actual sadness when I left! My interactions with the staff and the owner's family were so fantastic, it was like I was a part of them for a little while. They made the experience truly special.
Alright, let's get real: What's the *one* thing you'll never forget about Subangan 6?
Okay, I’ll tell you. I'll never forget the bonfire night. We were a group of people, all strangers at first, gathered around a fire pit on the beach. The stars were blazing, the waves were whispering…and someone pulled out a ukulele. Suddenly, we were all singing along, laughing, sharing stories, drinking Tanduay Rum (that’s the local stuff - strong!). There was something magical in the air that night. The shared experience, the raw beauty of the place, it was just…perfect. That night, Subangan Homestay 6 wasn’t just a place to sleep; it was where friendships were forged under the Siargao sky. Actually, it was so much more than that, it was life-affirming! And it's not something you can find at a fancy resort, know what I'm sayin'? It's the heart and soul of travel, the reason you leave your comfort zone in the first place. I'll cherish it always.
Any downsides? What should I be prepared for?
Okay, here's the deal. There are a few. The internet can be spotty. Embrace it, detach! The showers are…rustic, as I said before. Power outages happen. But honestly? If you’re expecting a flawless, luxury experience, you’re missing the point of Siargao. Embrace the adventure, the imperfect moments. Be prepared to be a little uncomfortable, to embrace the quirks. And most of all, be prepared to fall in love. The imperfection is a part of the charm. Learn to roll with the punches, and you’ll have an amazing time!

