
Smolny Park: St. Petersburg's Hidden Gem (Secret Photos Inside!)
Smolny Park: St. Petersburg's "Hidden Gem" - REALLY? (And What They Don't Tell You!)
Okay, so Smolny Park. The name alone conjures up images of serene landscapes and… well, parks. And St. Petersburg. That's a city that knows how to do classy. This review is going to be brutally honest – I'm talking spilling tea, folks, and uncovering whether this "hidden gem" is truly sparkling or just a slightly tarnished trinket. Buckle up.
(Secret Photos Inside!) – Well, eventually. First, the messy truth…)
Accessibility: (The Good, The Bad, And The Slightly Confusing)
Right off the bat, let's talk about accessibility. Being in a city like Saint Petersburg, you always kinda expect the unexpected. They're trying, bless their hearts. The elevator is a godsend, that's for sure. And the presence of facilities for disabled guests shows intent, but navigating the park itself? Well, let's just say those cobblestone paths can be a challenge. It's not a slam dunk for wheelchair users, and that's something they could improve on. Getting around inside the hotel is easier than outside, that's a plus.
Internet & Tech: (Free Wi-Fi? Hallelujah! But Still Some Glitches…)
"Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" – My ears perked up. Seriously, I'm a millennial. Good Wi-Fi is practically a human right. And yes, it mostly works. The Wi-Fi is solid, and the LAN option exists for those of us still clinging to wired connections (which is a plus, if you're old-school). There is Wi-Fi in public areas too. So the internet is generally on point.
Cleanliness & Safety: (Germophobia Nirvana? Or Just a Little Overzealous?)
Okay, so, post-pandemic, everyone’s a bit… anxious, right? Smolny Park takes this seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, individually-wrapped food options, daily housekeeping. It's a little too much, if you ask me. But hey, you can't fault them for being thorough, and the rooms are spotlessly clean. The staff trained in safety protocols and safe dining setup is very reassuring, specially in this era. The hand sanitizer is EVERYWHERE. It’s almost comical, but I felt genuinely secure. The sterile kitchen and tableware items were also a plus.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: (Buffet Blues and the Search for a Decent Coffee)
Alright, let's dive into the food. The "A la carte in restaurant" is a nice touch, but the buffet is where the action is. (But be warned: the Asian breakfast felt a bit… off. They're trying, but the execution wasn't perfect.) The coffee in the restaurant? Well, let's just say I've had better instant coffee. The poolside bar is fun during the warm weather, and the snack bar offers the usual suspects. I didn't try the vegetarian restaurant but I am curious. There are restaurants, but the coffee situation could be improved.
Services & Conveniences: (From Concierge Bliss to a Bit of a Wait…)
The concierge is a star! They’re helpful, fluent, and know their city. Daily housekeeping is a plus (important, right?). The food delivery option is a lifesaver. On the downside, sometimes the elevators felt a bit…slow. And while dry cleaning is available, the turnaround time wasn’t the quickest. The currency exchange is a good addition. The gift shop is average. Good thing they have laundry service.
For the Kids: (Babysitting… Yes. Enthusiasm… Questionable)
Family-friendly? Technically, yes. Kids facilities exist, and they say they have babysitting service. However, it didn't seem to be a high priority in the grand scheme of things. The kids menu felt like an afterthought.
Things to do, Ways to Relax: (Spa Day Dreamin'… Almost!)
This is where Smolny Park almost shines. The spa. Yes, the spa. A pool with a view? YES. A sauna? YES. A gorgeous spa/sauna experience? almost YES. A steamroom? YES. I had a massage. Oh, the massage. This needs a section of its own:
Spa Day: From Heaven to Slightly Less Heaven
(Rambling Mode Activated)
Okay, this is where I lost it. In a good way. I’m a stressed-out travel writer, so I needed a spa day. Badly. Let me tell you, that pool with a view is stunning. The sauna was authentically Finnish-hot. Steamroom? Perfect for melting into a puddle of relaxation. And the massage? Ah, the massage. I requested a deep tissue massage. They delivered. The masseuse, bless her heart, was a magician. She found knots I didn’t even know I had. I was putty in her hands. I swear, I almost fell asleep on the table. My muscles felt like they had been re-wired! The "Body scrub" was also awesome. The "Body wrap" felt divine. My skin was like silk.
The problem?
It wasn't perfect. The changing rooms were a little cramped. The music selection in the relaxation room was questionable (elevator music, anyone?). And getting a spa appointment felt a bit… bureaucratic. But all in all, the spa experience leaned into a near-magical experience.
In Your Room: (Comfort, Convenience, and the Occasional Creak…)
The rooms? Comfortable, in general. The air conditioning worked like a charm. The soundproofing? Actually, fantastic. I got a room with a view. The bed was comfortable, with nice fresh linens. The alarm clock actually worked. The bathroom was clean with good toiletries. A coffee/tea maker is essential. The mini bar was well-stocked. Now, the imperfections: some rooms might have a creaky floorboard (I heard one complaint about that), and the in-room safe box was a bit small. But for the most part, these rooms are a relaxing oasis. The daily housekeeping is much appreciated. I give them bonus points for a reading light - you always need that, don't you agree?
Getting Around: (Taxi! Car! Oh, the Parking…)
Getting around is easy! You have car park [free of charge] and car park [on-site], airport transfer, taxi service, and car power charging station.
Safety & Security: (Safe and Sound, Mostly)
CCTV in common areas and outside the property add to the confidence. The front desk is manned 24 hours (always a good sign). If you go there, you know that the fire extinguisher is on point. The smoke alarms are present.
The Big Question: Is It a Hidden Gem?
Honestly? It’s complicated. Smolny Park isn't perfect. It has its quirks, its imperfections, and the occasional glitch. But, ultimately, I enjoyed my stay. The spa (and that massage) alone almost makes it worth the trip. The location is fantastic, the staff is generally lovely, and they are trying to be great. I had genuine fun.
(Now for the SECRET PHOTOS!… Eventually. I’m still working on it because I am a human that fails sometimes. But they are coming!)
My Verdict:
Worth a Stay: Yes, absolutely.
Hidden Gem? Maybe not exactly, but a solid, pleasant, and often delightful experience.
Final Grade: B+
Smolny Park: Your St. Petersburg Getaway – Without the Tourist Traps! (Special Offer Below)
Are you tired of the same boring hotel experiences? Craving a truly authentic St. Petersburg adventure? Then Smolny Park is calling your name.
Here's why YOU need to book now:
- Unwind Like Royalty: Indulge in our world-class spa: Feel your stress melt away with our rejuvenating massage. (Seriously, it's that good.)
- Unbeatable Location: Explore the heart of St. Petersburg with easy access to iconic attractions.
- Comfort & Convenience: Stay connected with free Wi-Fi. Safe, clean, and comfortable rooms await you, every single time.
- Safety First: Our commitment to health and hygiene is unmatched, with rigorous cleaning protocols so you can relax and enjoy.
Special Offer!
Book your stay at Smolny Park within the next 72 hours and receive:
- 15% discount on your room rate
- Complimentary bottle of local wine
- Free access to the sauna and steam room during your stay!
Don't miss out on this exclusive offer! Click the link below and experience St. Petersburg like never before!
(Click Here to Book Your Escape!)
(And… stay tuned for those secret photos!)
Uncover the MYSTERIES of Brockenhurst's Huntsman! (Brockenhurst, UK)
Okay, here we go. Buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your slick, Instagram-ready itinerary. This is Smolny Park, Saint Petersburg, through my bleary, slightly caffeinated eyes. Prepare for… well, prepare for anything.
Smolny Park: A Personal Whirlwind (aka My Attempt at Civilization)
(Day 1: Arrival and the Great Squirrel Debacle)
9:00 AM: Arrive in Saint Petersburg. Jet lag has me feeling like a sentient potato. The taxi driver, bless his soul, took me on the scenic route, which involved a near-head-on collision with a babushka in an oversized fur hat. Standard.
10:00 AM: Check into my charming, slightly moldy (but hey, character!) hotel near Smolny. I’ve booked a “superior double” which, judging by the size, is more accurately a "slightly larger single". The receptionist, whose name I've already forgotten, gave me a look that said, "Another tourist, sigh." I get it.
11:00 AM: My first attempt to find Smolny Park. Armed with a map that looks like it was drawn by a particularly enthusiastic toddler, I blunder through a few cobbled streets. Realized the directions were upside down (or maybe the world was). Cue mental breakdown #1.
11:30 AM (ish): Smolny! Finally! Glimmering through the trees. The architecture hits you like a punch in the face – majestic, over-the-top, utterly gorgeous. And the air… crisp, Russian, and hinting at possible snow.
12:00 PM: Smolny Convent. Okay, wow. The blue and white exterior is enough to make your jaw drop. I fumbled with my scarf while trying to take a picture, almost tripping over a very judgemental pigeon. Inside… it's a different world. The golden icons shimmering in the candlelight. It's… intense. Overwhelming, maybe. I don't know if I was feeling religious, but I was definitely feeling something. Maybe the lingering scent of incense.
1:00 PM: Lunch. I found a little cafe near the park. The pierogi were so amazing that I completely forgot to take a picture. I think I was so excited after being lost for so long and finally finding the place. I need to keep a journal.
2:00 PM: The Great Squirrel Debacle. I spied a furry little bandit near a bench and, foolishly, offered it half a stale croissant. The squirrel, a tiny furry anarchist, attacked me. Okay, it didn't attack, but it bit my finger. I yelped. Other park-goers stared. Humiliation level: Expert. Lesson learned: Never trust a squirrel fueled by pastry.
2.20 PM: Sat on a bench and tried to calm down, my pride (and my finger) slightly bruised. The sun was shining, and I could hear the distant sounds of a church bell. Okay, this probably is a sign.
3:00 PM: The grounds of the park. So many statues of famous people. The faces look serious. I tried to take a picture with a statue of a long-dead poet. My attempts at posing were hampered by the presence of a gaggle of giggling schoolgirls.
4:00 PM: Wandering. Lost in the park. It is vast. I found a small, secluded corner that looked perfect for a nap. I might have drifted off for a few minutes. Woke with a crick in my neck and the distinct feeling that I was being watched by the aforementioned squirrel.
5:00 PM: Coffee and cake. I am a sucker for a good cake. There was a small cafe along the way with the best cheesecake I have ever had. This is a good place.
6:00 PM: Walk around the park one last time. The light changes, the shadows grow long, the squirrels are plotting. Smolny is already starting to feel like a second home;
7:00 PM: Feeling like a wreck and exhausted after my long walk.
8:00 PM: Dinner at a nearby "traditional" Russian restaurant. The food was… heavy on the potatoes. The vodka was surprisingly not. Ate a whole plate of blinis.
Impression: Smolny is gorgeous and a bit overwhelming, and it looks like the perfect place to get lost and then found by a squirrel. I adore Saint Petersburg, but I miss my cat.
(Day 2: More Smolny, More Squirrels (Maybe?) and a Potential Religious Awakening)
- 9:00 AM: Coffee. Lots of coffee. Need it. The hotel coffee, of course, is brown water, so I hit a cafe a little further out.
- 10:00 AM: Another visit to the church. I am no expert on religion but, yesterday the church and the people who attended it, just seemed to have a sense of connection. I might have shed a tear. Maybe it was the incense.
- 11:00 AM: A different section of the park. A few more statues. I am getting better at avoiding the squirrels. Though maybe this day.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch.
- 1:00 PM: I got lost again.
- 2:00 PM: Another Bench. More contemplation. I think I am starting to get this place.
- 3:00 PM: Back at the hotel. Taking a nap.
- 4:00 PM: A final walk around.
- 5:00 PM: On the way out.
Concluding Thoughts: Smolny Park is a kaleidoscope of beauty, history, and (potentially dangerous) wildlife. It's a place that forces you to slow down, to breathe, and to wonder if a squirrel is judging your life choices. It's a place I'll never forget, even if I do still have a tiny bite mark on my finger to remind me. Saint Petersburg, you are a gem. And I'm coming back, but next time, I'm bringing a hazmat suit for those darn squirrels.
Escape to Luxury: Tru by Hilton Louisville East - Your KY Getaway!
Smolny Park – You Need to Know This Place (Seriously!)
Okay, spill the tea. What *is* Smolny Park, and why should I care? I'm busy, you know!
Is it actually hidden? Like, do I need a secret handshake?
The photos look pretty... what's it *really* like?
Okay, I'm sold. What's the best thing to DO in Smolny Park? Beyond breathing, I mean.
Are there cafes or anything for sustenance? Because, you know, humans need food. And coffee.
Can I actually *get* to Smolny Park? Seems important.
What's the *worst* thing about Smolny Park? Anything I should be warned about? Because travel always has a downside, right?
Any final thoughts or “pro tips”?

