Escape to Paradise: Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach House, Phu Quoc!

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Escape to Paradise: Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach House, Phu Quoc!

Escape to Paradise: Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach House, Phu Quoc! - My Unfiltered Phu Quoc Diary Entry

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from Escape to Paradise: Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach House in Phu Quoc, and let me tell you, this place… well, it is paradise, with a whole lotta quirks sprinkled on top. This isn't your typical cookie-cutter hotel review, folks. This is my Phu Quoc experience, raw and unfiltered. And trust me, you'll want to hear this.

(First Things First: The Essentials - And Then Some!)

Let's be real. You want to know about the stuff. You know, the actual, you know, hotel details. So, here's the breakdown:

  • Accessibility: Right off the bat, I'm giving them a mixed score. Facilities for disabled guests are listed, which is a great start. The elevator is a welcome sight, but I didn't specifically check the ramps or room accessibility, so can t fully comment. Facilities for disabled guests are worth confirming specific details directly with the property to ensure a comfortable stay.

  • Internet is King (and Queen… and the whole damn court!): Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Hallelujah!) - and that's what makes a vacation bliss. Internet access – LAN too? Fancy! Needed it for a quick zoom call, and it held up. Wi-Fi in public areas was also solid. So, you're covered. Your emails, your Instagram, your entire digital existence is safe.

  • Cleanliness and Safety: A Grade Above the Rest: HUGE thumbs up. Cleanliness and safety are clearly a priority. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification, Rooms sanitized between stays. Feel super safe. Hand sanitizer everywhere, Staff trained in safety protocol. They take this seriously, which is a huge relief in this post-pandemic world. I felt way safer here than walking through a Vietnamese market, trust me.

  • Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food Heaven (and a few hiccups!)

    • Restaurants: There are restaurants, plural! Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant - something for everyone. They did a great buffet in restaurant for breakfast!
    • Dining and Drinks: Coffee shop, bars, Poolside bar aaaaand room service!!! 24-hour room service (yes!). Bottle of water, coffee/tea in restaurant, all the basics.
    • The Hiccup: They did not have Vegetarian restaurant or Vegan restaurant, not ideal for those.
  • Services and Conveniences: They've Got It All, Basically:

    • Convenience is King: Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, and enough amenities to feel pampered.
    • Business Ready: Facilities for disabled guests, Cash withdrawal, and Meeting/banquet facilities.
  • For the Kids (and the Kid in You):

    • Babysitting service if you're brave, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal.
  • Getting Around: Peace of Mind

    • Airport transfer (essential!), Car park [free of charge], which is a great bonus. Taxi service is readily available. I spent all my time on site to enjoy the place.
  • Available in All Rooms: What's in Your Room?

    • Air conditioning, (thank GOD), Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains - need those! Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Desk, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, In-room safe box (always use it!), Internet access – wireless, Internet access – LAN, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, and all the other basics. My room was spacious, clean, and a welcome escape from the Phu Quoc heat.

(Now For the Juicy Stuff: My Personal Highlights! - And a Few Gripes)

The Beach is EVERYTHING: Okay, let's be honest, the whole reason you're coming to Phu Quoc is the beach, right? And Escape to Paradise? They nailed it. It's right there, sunrise beach, steps from your room. I'm a morning person, but even I was shocked at how gorgeous the sunsets are, I think I'll be a morning person for the rest of my life! That golden hour glow? Instagram gold. The sand is soft, the water is clear, the views are… well, they're just goddamn perfect.

The Pool with a View: There are TWO pools. Let that sink in. ONE is a standard pool. The other is the "Pool with a view". I spent a solid three hours just staring out at the ocean, sipping a cocktail from the Poolside bar, and pondering the meaning of life. Or maybe just deciding whether to order another plate of spring rolls, either one.

The Spa: A Little Heavenly Escape: Spa? Sauna, Steamroom, Massage? Oh yes, all of it. I indulged in a Body scrub AND a Body wrap. I felt like a new person, or maybe just wonderfully relaxed. The treatments were fantastic. Seriously, worth every single dong.

The Quirks: The Little Things (and a few not-so-little things!)

  • The Food (mostly): The breakfasts were FANTASTIC. The Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant were top-notch. Honestly, the food generally was pretty damn good. I may have eaten myself into a food coma more than once. But that's a good thing, right? Right?
  • The Service (mostly): The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Concierge, Front desk [24-hour]. Always a smile, always willing to help. Someone even found me extra pillows when I asked!
  • The Small Stuff: There was a little hiccup with the room service one night. The soup came too slow. These things happen!

(The Overall Verdict: Would I Go Back? HELL YES!)

Look, Escape to Paradise isn't flawless. No place is. But the pros far outweigh the cons! It's a beautiful location, with a genuinely relaxing vibe, and enough amenities to keep you entertained for days. The staff is lovely, the beach is stunning, and the overall experience made me forget my cares for a while. And truly, isn't that what a vacation is all about?

My Advice: JUST BOOK IT!

Special Offer (Because I Love You):

Okay, so you're convinced, right? Here's the deal: Book a 3-night stay at Escape to Paradise: Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach House before [Date – Give Them a Deadline!] and get:

  • A complimentary couples massage at the spa.
  • A free upgrade to a room with a balcony (subject to availability).
  • A voucher for a free cocktail at the poolside bar.
  • A free airport transfer.
  • And most importantly, a chance to experience your own little slice of paradise!
  • Because, you know, life's too short to not soak up sunshine on a beach

Click here to book your Escape to paradise now! [Insert Booking Link Here]

Go on, you deserve it. You really do. And tell them I sent you! Maybe they'll give me a discount next time… ;)

Stavros Pension: Your Rhodesian Paradise Awaits!

Book Now

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Phu Quoc, You Beautiful Disaster: Sailor's House & Me

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, 'cause this isn't your sterile, Instagram-filtered travel guide. This is me in Phu Quoc, Vietnam, and it's gonna be a glorious, slightly sunburnt, probably alcohol-fueled mess. We're talking the Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House. Expectations? High. Reality? Probably higher. Let's dive in.

Day 1: Landing & Initial Chaos (Welcome to Paradise, Idiot!)

  • Morning (and by "morning" I mean, like, noon): Arrive Phu Quoc airport. Wow. This is… humid. Like, someone wrapped you in a warm, slightly damp blanket. Immigration? Smooth. Luggage? Found. Victory! Now, the real test: finding the transfer. Pray to the travel gods they actually sent a driver.

    • Anecdote: Spent a solid 15 minutes sweating and questioning my life choices, convinced I'd been abandoned at the airport. Turned out the driver was late because… well, because life. Vietnamese time, I'm learning (quickly). Finally, we're off!
  • Afternoon (and probably a nap): Arrive at Old Sailor's. Holy mother of… this view. Seriously. Sunrise Beach is living up to its name. The turquoise water, the swaying palms, the… well, the slightly ramshackle charm of the house itself. It’s not exactly pristine, but it’s real. And the air smells like salt and… adventure?

    • Quirky Observation: The house cat, a ginger scamp with one ear missing, seems to be the unofficial greeter. He judged me immediately. I think he approves of my dishevelled appearance.
    • Emotional Reaction: Pure. Bliss. I just want to collapse onto that hammock and never move again. But first, unpacking. Ugh.
  • Evening: Sunset Spectacular & First Bites (and Maybe a Mild Panic Attack)

    • Activity: Sunset Drinks & Grilled Squid. Seriously. Sunsets over the water here are LEGIT. Found a little beach shack, the kind with wobbly tables and plastic chairs, and ordered a Saigon beer.
    • Anecdote: The grilled squid was a revelation. Chewy, smoky, and perfectly seasoned. Then I realised I'd forgotten my phrasebook. Panic ensued, followed by frantic pointing and miming. It worked, somehow.
    • Imperfection: I accidentally knocked over a glass of beer trying to take a picture of the sunset. Everyone laughed. Including me, eventually.
    • Rambling: This place is… different. It's raw. It's loud. It's beautiful. It's going to require a hell of a lot of DEET. Where did I put that stuff?
    • Emotional Reaction: Fear. Mixed with awe. It's a complicated emotion, but I'm here for it!

Day 2: Island Exploration & Motorbike Mayhem (Hold On Tight!)

  • Morning: Renting a Death Trap (aka a Motorbike)

    • Activity: Hired a motorbike. They’re everywhere and dirt cheap. I’d read the reviews. I'd heard the warnings. Honestly, I was feeling invincible.
    • Anecdote: The guy renting it to me didn't speak a word of English. I barely understood how to turn the thing on. He just shrugged, gave me a toothy grin, and pointed vaguely south. Goodbye world.
    • Imperfection: I almost immediately stalled it. Twice. In the middle of the road. On a hill. Luckily, a local gave a quick lesson and a few push.
    • Rambling: Driving skills aside, getting around Phu Quoc on a motorbike is THE way to explore. It’s pure freedom! Just… try not to die.
  • Afternoon: Sao Beach & Starfish Serenity (Until Someone Ruins It)

    • Activity: Motorbiked to Sao Beach. It's the beach, the one you see on all the postcards.
    • Emotional Reaction: The beach? Utterly stunning. The sand is like flour. The water is that perfect shade of blue you only thought existed in Photoshop. The problem? Too many tourists.
    • Imperfection: Got a bit of sand stuck in my bathing suit. Awkward.
    • Anecdote: A guy on the beach decided to take a selfie with a starfish, which he subsequently chucked back into the sea. Then, he saw me looking at him and started to boast how he saved the starfish. He was literally bragging.
    • Opinionated Language: Some people. Honestly! Respect the goddamn sea life.
  • Evening: Night Market & Street Food Shenanigans (My Liver's Crying)

    • Activity: Explored the night market in Duong Dong. The smells! The sights! The sheer volume of people!
    • Rambling: Street food is essential. Trying everything is essential. My stomach is rumbling just thinking about it.
    • Emotional Reaction: Joy. Fear. Overwhelm. Every dish seems to test how far I can push my limits.
    • Anecdote: Tried a grilled something. It was amazing. I have no idea what I ate, but it was amazing. Also, saw a snake charmer and almost died from sheer terror.
    • Imperfection: Probably ate something I shouldn’t have. Felt a slight… rumble… later.
    • Category Doubling Down: Grilled something. Let's just focus on the grilled something. It was so good. It was like the pinnacle of the food and drink game. I wanted to buy the guy the entire stand and start eating again. I don't even know what it was. I asked. Something was said, and I just kept eating. That was when I knew…this was perfect.

Day 3: Waterfall Adventures & Fish Sauce Fiascos (Embrace the Weird)

  • Morning: Waterfall Exploration (and Dodging Mosquitoes)

    • Activity: Went to a waterfall that was promised to be stunning. Found it, and the hike was beautiful, if a little sweaty.
    • Emotional Reaction: Peace. The sound of the water. The cool shade of the trees. Utterly rejuvenating.
    • Imperfection: Got bitten by about a thousand mosquitoes. Should have listened to my own advice.
    • Rambling: This place is so lush. Everything is bursting with life. It’s almost overwhelming. I'm still not sure if I liked it or not.
  • Afternoon: Fish Sauce Factory (Prepare Your Nose)

    • Activity: A fish sauce factory tour. I was promised a cultural experience. I got a cultural experience, alright.
    • Opinionated Language: The smell. Oh, the smell. It’s… potent. Like a thousand anchovies had a party and decided to let rip all at once.
    • Anecdote: I nearly gagged. Several times. The "fermentation process" is… well, let’s just say it leaves little to the imagination.
    • Imperfection: My clothes still slightly smell of fish sauce. I’m not sure it’ll ever fade.
    • Emotional Reaction: Disgust. Fascination. Mild fascination. I can't believe I made it through that tour, but I did.
    • Rambling: Okay, I kinda know what fish sauce is now. Now, I kinda want to try it. Seriously….
  • Evening: Last Sunset & Goodbye Drinks (and Maybe Regret)

    • Activity: Last sunset at the beach.
    • Emotional Reaction: Wow. Sad. Happy. Peaceful. Everything.
    • Imperfection: I have no idea what I'm doing here, but I like it.
    • Rambling: Will I come back? It won't be the same, or the same, as before. Because I know more than I knew. More than I wanted to know.
    • Anecdote: Found a little bar. Didn't speak to anyone. Just got a drink and watched the sun go down.
    • Opinionated Language: Phu Quoc… you beautiful, slightly bonkers place, you. I love. You.

Day 4: Departure (And Plans for Return)

  • Morning: Pack. Realize I’ve accumulated a significant amount of dust, sand, and questionable souvenirs.
  • Afternoon: Airport transfer. Saying goodbye to the ginger cat. Sadness ensues!
  • Evening: Reflect. Already dreaming of the next trip. I will be back.

That there is the reality of Phu Quoc. It is raw, it is real, and it is wonderful. It's also a bit of a disaster. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Your South Mountain Escape at Ascend Resort!

Book Now

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island VietnamOkay, here we go! Prepare for a bumpy, beautiful, and occasionally rambling ride through the FAQs of Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach House on Phu Quoc Island. Buckle up!

So, is this 'Escape to Paradise' thing...actually paradise? Because I see a lot of sunsets on Instagram.

Alright, lemme level with you. Paradise? Depends on your definition. If paradise means Instagram-filtered perfection, probably not. If paradise means waking up to the sound of waves gently arguing with the shore, yeah, probably. I mean, the sunsets *are* bonkers. Like, genuinely made me stop drinking my lukewarm Vietnamese coffee (which, by the way, is delicious even lukewarm) the first time I saw one. But...there was this one morning.

The morning the rooster decided to opera-sing directly outside my bungalow. At 5 AM. No filter can fix that. Or the time a particularly bold gecko decided to hitch a ride on my backpack. So, it's not *flawless* paradise. It's paradise with quirks. And the quirks, honestly? They're part of the charm.

Can I actually...escape? Like, disconnect from the world? I need it. Desperately.

Oh, honey, yes. You *can* escape. They have Wi-Fi, of course, because, you know, reality. But, and this is the key, it's slow. Blessedly slow. Think dial-up slow. Embrace it! I’d walk around with my phone, trying to get a signal, and finally just gave up and looked at the ocean. Turns out, the ocean is far more interesting than Twitter arguments. And the lack of notifications? Utterly liberating. I think I may have actually *unlearned* how to doomscroll. It was a feat, I tell you!

The beach house...what's it *really* like? They're always so curated in the photos.

Okay, okay, let's talk about the actual *place*. It’s not a sterile, Pinterest-perfect hotel. It’s a little...rustic. And by rustic, I mean, the wooden floors creak, there's probably a stray ant or two having a rave in the corner (they're harmless, mostly), and maybe a tiny spider web in the corner of a window somewhere (and I mean, *tiny*). But the charm? Immense. The bungalows are simple, with a kind of breezy, "I just want to wear linen and drink coconut water" vibe. You're steps from the beach. Seriously. Steps. I’m talking, like, stumble out of your bed, brush your teeth, and you’re already feeling the sand between your toes. It's the kind of place where you feel comfortable letting your hair down (literally and figuratively!).

Food! Tell me about the food! I live to eat.

Oh. My. God. The food. Forget 'Escape to Paradise,' its 'Escape to Eat-Everything-On-the-Menu'! The kitchen, it's more of a communal thing. You tell them what you want and they whip it up. Now, hear me out, the seafood is ridiculous. Fresh, flaky fish grilled to perfection. The pho, oh, the pho. I had it three times in one day. Don't judge. (Actually, judge, I don't care.) One tiny, *tiny* complaint: the spice level can vary WILDLY. One day you'll get a curry that tickles your tongue, the next it'll set your face on fire. It’s part of the adventure, though. Always have a cold beer at the ready. And I’d beg you, order the fresh spring rolls. The absolute *best* fresh spring rolls I have ever eaten. Seriously, I'm still dreaming about them.

What's there to *do* besides eat and stare at the ocean? Because, you know, I get restless.

Okay, okay, so you want action? Cool. There's kayaking. There's snorkeling (the water is crystal clear and you can practically see Nemo waving hello – well, maybe not Nemo, but plenty of colorful fish). They can arrange boat trips to other islands. You can explore the local markets. But honestly? The best "activity" is doing absolutely nothing. I spent an afternoon just lying in a hammock, reading a book, and letting the sea breeze lull me into blissful oblivion. I think I may have actually drooled a little. Don't judge, again! It's *that* relaxing. Also, they have these chairs on the beach and it's just...perfection. Bring books. And sunscreen. LOTS of sunscreen.

I'm a solo traveler. Is it a good place to go by myself? Will I feel...lonely?

Absolutely. I mean, I was surrounded by couples or big groups, and felt perfectly secure, which is saying something! The vibe is super chilled and friendly. People are genuinely happy to chat, but no one's pushy. One lovely lady and I shared a sunset and our life stories, and she barely spoke English! I could happily sit by myself at the bar and get a drink and read a book, or just chill on the beach, and everything would be just perfect. The staff are incredibly welcoming. You won't feel alone unless you *want* to be. It's a place where you can easily find your tribe or just enjoy your own company. Don’t be afraid to book the trip!

Okay, let's talk about the downsides. No place is perfect.

Alright, alright, let's get real. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. The rooster, as I mentioned, is a morning warrior (prepare for earplugs). The Wi-Fi, as mentioned, is a slow coach. You might get the occasional mosquito bite (bring bug spray!). And the beach...well, it's beautiful, but it’s not always pristine. Sometimes, depending on the tides, there can be some seaweed. It's a natural beach, after all! You have to be okay with a little bit of grit. Oh! And one more thing: I once spent 20 minutes trying to catch a lizard that had wandered into my bungalow. I consider this a downside…because I failed. Spectaculary. Let the lizard win.

Anything else I should know? Any secret tips?

Yes! Pack light! Really, you'll practically live in a swimsuit and a sarong. Bring a good book (or three). Learn a few basic Vietnamese phrases. Seriously, even a simple "Xin chào" (hello) or "Cảm ơn" (thank you) goes a long way. Bargain *politely* at the local markets. And, most importantly: embrace the unexpected. Stuff's going to go wrong. A delayed flight. A grumpy staff member. A sudden, torrential downpour. It’s all part of the adventure. That's it, I think. Oh! Bring bug spray. I mentioned that, right? Bug spray! Okay, have an amazing trip! I'm already jealousAround The World Hotels

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam

Old Sailor's Sunrise Beach Front House Phu Quoc Island Vietnam